My educational background includes a BA in Art Education (1977) and an MA (1979) in ceramics and sculpture from Eastern Illinois University. I am a full-time artist. I have been working in ceramics for over 32 years.
Currently I am working on rich, textured, organic, contemporary wall reliefs. All of my experiences with clay, firing techniques, molds, and textures have come together in these recent works.
I begin by playing around with the placement of the various shapes and textures of the elements I've created. I get the biggest kick out of never knowing just how the piece will evolve. I just let the energy flow as I assemble each one without a plan. I want the viewer to realize the depths of the pieces as they discover all the hidden elements.
In all my years traveling across the country doing art shows. I have spent a lot of time seeing the world through the window of the van. The patchwork of the fields, seasons changing, the rising and setting sun, landscapes of all textures and colors are the images and experiences that have inspired this recent work. I see this work continuing to evolve as the world around me and the way I see it, are in a constant state of change.
Five facts about my work
- Wall Reliefs are handmade porcelain stoneware and terra cotta clay bodies.
- They are painted with acrylic and oil patinas, and varnished.
- They are mounted on a wooden framework for easy hanging.
- They are one of a kind and due to the uniqueness of each piece, they will vary slightly in size and design.
- Abstract pieces will hang vertical or horizontal